SUBMIT SECO 20/20 COURSE ABSTRACT
SECO 20/20 Presentation Abstracts
March 4 – 8, 2020
Open: March 31, 2019 (12:00 AM, ET) to May 17, 2019 (11:55 PM, ET)
SECO International’s mission is to provide continuing optometric education worldwide to Optometrists, Optometry Residents and Students, Opticianry Students, and Allied Healthcare Professionals (AOA Paraoptometrics, Ophthalmic Professionals, Ophthalmic Technicians, Opticians, Practice Administrators, and all other office team members.)
To accomplish this mission, the annual SECO Congress and year-round SECO University online platform serve as a catalyst for discussion, learning, and innovation. SECO International is now accepting presentation abstracts for the SECO 20/20 Congress. We are very interested in innovative presentation formats including case studies, facilitated/panel discussions, learning labs (hands-on workshops) and other cutting-edge adult learning formats. We welcome all new ideas and encourage forward thinking presentations.
Established in 1923, SECO International empowers its attendees to increase their professional enrichment with education, networking, and business growth opportunities. SECO International offers educational programming through two key initiatives. All of our educational opportunities provide optometric professionals with unique opportunities to keep up to date on cutting-edge research and clinical best practices, impact the community, and champion the vision care industry. Through critical programming in a variety of formats and topics, our meeting and online education offerings will challenge the way attendees think.
SECO’s two key learning initiatives are:
The annual SECO Congress is a five-day conference designed for optometric professionals by optometric professionals. With intensive special sessions, learning labs (hands-on workshops), MedPRO360 Business Management sessions, dynamic concurrent sessions, and a marketplace, this highly rated annual event fuels over 6,000 optometric professionals with relevant knowledge and ideas they can implement immediately in their practice. The environment is designed for collaboration, exploration, and connections on multiple levels. A majority of sessions are to be no more than 120 minutes, with the exception of learning labs, and review sessions, and should be complete learning experiences with specific outcomes and learning objectives.
Abstracts should focus on innovative technologies and best practices. SECO is particularly interested in sessions that engage attendees in unique ways that reach beyond the standard presenter/PowerPoint model. Session formats may include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitated/Panel Discussions present an issue or trend as a conversation among experts followed by Q&A.
- Debate - formal discussion on a particular topic. In a debate, opposing arguments are put forward to argue for opposing viewpoints. Example: Two co-presenters take opposing sides to an argument and ask the audience to declare a winner at the end.
- Case Studies - describe a case, program or study in-depth, focusing on innovative solutions to clearly defined challenges and their implications for the profession and overall vision care industry.
- Learning Labs (Workshops/Hands-On Learning Experiences) - encourage attendees to use professional skills to explore a scenario and to teach and learn new skills. Examples include: Teaching how to administer injections, amniotic membranes, etc.
- Peer Discussion - introduce attendees to a structured case-based discussion using pre-prepared example cases, led by a facilitator, who is focused on steering the discussion rather than participating. Peer discussion often involves several groups discussing at the same time, with a facilitator on each table.
Drawing on more than a decade of providing online CE to the optometric community, SECO University gives all eye care professionals the opportunity to learn online at their convenience. In addition, SECO University includes audio archives featuring thousands of course recordings from 2007 – 2018. These recordings can be easily streamed from the website or downloaded to a PC or mobile device.
Disclaimer: Please note that submitting a presentation abstract does not mean that the session will be selected for SECO 20/20. If two session Abstracts are similar, lecturers may be contacted to determine if they will be willing to collaborate on the session.